Re: [TCLUG:10969] GNOME configuration questions/musings

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         well, here's the last few lines of what I get:
[...]
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

:( It isn't X, and it isn't GNOME. It's most likely your hardware, which
is what signal 11 means. Is the inside of your case particularly hot,
perhaps? Try a different video card and/or CPU. Memory? MB?

> how can I find the whole error messages? are they logged somewhere?
> I suppose I could try 'startx 2>/tmp/xerror.log' and wait for X to die.

Right.

> >> I've heard of Fetchmail; never learned exactly what it *does* tho.
> >It does the POP part of what you describe above. You need it, an MUA and
> >an MTA to have a complete package.
>
> oh... so you need Fetchmail, Sendmail, and Procmail all to do the
> POP3 thing?

No, Procmail would be one of several choices. It's a third type of
software called an MDA, mail delivery agent. Other choices include binmail
(/bin/mail) which comes with Sendmail. Alternative MTAs have their own
bundled with them.

But yes, to do mail fully, you need an MTA, MUA and MDA, in any case. Note
that programs like Netscape Communicator and MS Outlook have such things
(or the like) built into them. You don't see them, but they're there.

> >The big difference is that Sendmail will whine if it wants to clear the
> >queue and can't because you aren't connected. Other than that, no big
> >deal.
>         so Fetchmail handles the POP3 needs for Sendmail?

Sendmail is an SMTP server; Fetchmail is a POP3 client. Totally different
types of software, even though they do related things. :)

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com