Re: [TCLUG:11008] Invisible mouse?

Carl Patten said:
> Looks normal.  Can I assume you have some other interrupts in use by the
> sound card?

Yep.  It was using 5 and 11, but has been removed in the interest of
minimizing the number of things that can go wrong.

> Because I'm paranoid, I'll ask you to verify that the jumpers on the I/O
> controller card are confirmed set to have COM1 use IRQ 4.

They check out OK.  But I've also pulled that card and gone back to the
motherboard's integrated serial controller, since it now looks like that's
probably not the problem.  I've run it from COM1 to COM4 and even tried
connecting the ribbon cable backwards, but it still doesn't see anything
there.

> Back in Device Manager, do you have anything showing up under "Other
> Devices?"

Well...  Yes and no...  When I removed the I/O board, Windows freaked out and
lost track of the CD, PCI bus, and keyboard.  So it shows PCI and keyboard
under "Other Devices" and can't access the CD to reload their drivers...  (It
did this earlier and I had to reinstall to get things straightened back out.
I never thought I'd be doing so many Windows installs on a system that's
intended to be Linux-only...)

Are there any good diagnostics we could try from within Linux?  As I
mentioned earlier, gpmconfig's autodetect hangs (and then some), but if there
are any serial port diagnostics out there, they'd probably be more directly
informative than all this mucking about with Windows device settings.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+