Re: [TCLUG:11190] GNOME/KDE/WindowManager Debate

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Zbikowsk wrote:

> Someone mentioned gnome-wm. What?!? There is, to my knowelge, nothing
> called gnome-wm. Gnome tends to default to Enlightenment, and E's
> default
> theme is butt ugly by it self, and butt fscking ugly when you add the
> gnome panel.
I think gnome-wm is kinda like gnome-edit and gnome-moz-remote: it
provides a simple wrapper to run whichever preferred
editor/browser/window-manager the user has selected. Can anyone check me
on this one?

> Sawmill (my current favorite)
My current favorite too. :) It has plenty of eye candy for me, and I think
I might even start work on a theme or two for it over break (starts
tomorrow yay!)

> Enlightenmet (bloat bloat bloat)
Previous notes.

> Blackbox (needs a patch for GNOME compliance)
Better perhaps to run w/o GNOME (judging by dieman's screenshot)?

> Window Maker
I still don't get the Dock. :) I used Afterstep in its 1.0 incarnations
and loved it, customized the crap out of it. After using the Wharf, a
transition to the Dock proved harder than to gnome-panel, so I use GNOME.

> IceWM (another favorite for a lighter weight window manager)
I find this is equally good on its own or with GNOME, for a simple,
somewhat klunkily themeable wm.

> So now I use sawmill. I like it, I'd hate to piece together a theme for
> it though.
Naah, it's just lisp. Nothing too horrifically complicated here. I'm much
more frightened by E's themes. ;)

And now for my own special gratuitous screenshot URL:
http://www.ringworld.org/~kbullock/screenshots/dysonsphere-02-1999.11.18.png

This is a GTK theme I hacked together and combined with sawmill's smaker
theme and a background from E's default theme, going for a Marion Zimmer
Bradley/Loreena McKennitt kind of effect (very Celtic).

Kevin R. Bullock                                _
Ringworld.Associates (http://www.ringworld.org/) \_ The two are only connected
St. John's University, Collegeville, MN         _/  by my presence in each.

--- please use the first e-mail address ----
| kbullock@ringworld.org | TheMystic@EFNet |
| krbullock@csbsju.edu   | Caoimhin@EFNet  |
----- bitte die erste e-mail benutzen ------

Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.
		-- F. Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month"

Whenever one person is found adequate to the discharge of a duty by
close application thereto, it is worse execute by two persons and
scarcely done at all if three or more are employed therein.
		-- George Washington, 1732-1799