Re: [TCLUG:11190] GNOME/KDE/WindowManager Debate

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Scott Dier - dieman wrote:

> Enlightenments d/l is big. But the installed size is just as much as many
> other wm's.
Perhaps. But as has been said, bloat is more than installed size; and E
runs very noticeably slower than sawmill on my K6-III/450 with 128MB RAM.
Not that it has *bad* performance compared to, say, Windows... ;p

Besides, sawmill has eye candy that rivals E's (even though the themes are
written in lisp -- this still makes much more sense to me than E's theme
language). And sawmill plays nice with gmc. :)

> The key is enlightenment allows for very pretty graphics and
> customissation.
See above. (and yes, I know E has more customization capability)

> > I tried blackbox. I kinda like it's simplicty, but I want a
> > maximize/minimize button onn my windows.
>
> Um. my copy does :)
I haven't tried blackbox in a while. I think it's the part of E that E
wanted to be that didn't become sawmill -- the standalone part. Blackbox
is also themeable (?) which is nice, again with the eye candy.

Chalk one up to freedom of wm choice! :)

Kevin R. Bullock                                _
Ringworld.Associates (http://www.ringworld.org/) \_ The two are only connected
St. John's University, Collegeville, MN         _/  by my presence in each.

--- please use the first e-mail address ----
| kbullock@ringworld.org | TheMystic@EFNet |
| krbullock@csbsju.edu   | Caoimhin@EFNet  |
----- bitte die erste e-mail benutzen ------

Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.
		-- F. Brooks, "The Mythical Man-Month"

Whenever one person is found adequate to the discharge of a duty by
close application thereto, it is worse execute by two persons and
scarcely done at all if three or more are employed therein.
		-- George Washington, 1732-1799