Re: [TCLUG:11243] linux and # files which can be open

The command ulimit is your friend.  ulimit -a will show you all of the
tunable ulimit parameters, so on my Stampede system, ulimit -a shows me
that the maximum open files is 1024 by default.  This is -n for setting
and reporting only open files.  ulimit reports on a per-user basis.  I
have as root upped my open files to 65536 with no ill effect, you should
set this to be what you need.  See the man page for bash(1).

-Chris