Re: [TCLUG:11243] linux and # files which can be open

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 06:31:36PM -0600, Joel Wyttenhove wrote:
> Hello --
>
> What is the maximum number of files that can be opened at once by a
> process, and if it is a tuneable parameter - what is the name of the
> parameter.

	If you type:

ulimit -a

       you should see output that looks like:

core file size (blocks)  1000000
data seg size (kbytes)   unlimited
file size (blocks)       unlimited
max memory size (kbytes) unlimited
stack size (kbytes)      8192
cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
max user processes       2048
pipe size (512 bytes)    8
open files               1024
virtual memory (kbytes)  2105343

	The 'open files' parameter is the one you're interested in.
It's a kernel tunable on every version of UNIX I've ever used, but I
don't know how to tune it under Linux.

> Thanks -
>
> Joel Wyttenhove.
> joelw@winternet.com
>
> ps - we think it is 20 ?????? (old unix)

	That would be the old MS-DOS value.  In my experience, UNIXes
have gone for powers of 2.  I've never seen a value less than 32, and
the 32 I saw was almost 10 years ago.  On the current version of Tru64
it defaults to 4096.

Have fun (if at all possible),
--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature