Re: [TCLUG:11328] connect to network without ethernet?

Nate Carlson wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Scott wrote:
>
> >      Instead of picking up a $6 nic of questionable virtue
> > off ebay, and having to wait an undeterminable amount of
> > time, go to best buy, compusa, or hardware shop of your
> > choice and get the $30 version of Linksys' EtherFast 10/100
> > (LNE100TX).  It's cheap, it's PCI (no dicking with isapnp),
> > the kernel comes with drivers for it, and Linksys even
> > attempts to support Linux on their site.  It's what I put in
> > the server this mail is coming from, was basically just a
> > matter of dropping it in and inserting the module.
> >

> Why go Linksys for $30 when you can get a Netgear card for $25 (or $20
> mailorder)? I have never had any trouble at all with the Netgears; just
> uses the standard tulip module and stuff..

I agree, the Netgear cards work great for me with the tulip driver. In
fact, the driver disk that comes with them even includes a copy of the
tulip driver! Quite probably useless but cool just the same.

--
Dave Erickson
"Always do more than is required