broken wish on Redhat

        I've not been able to get wish to run in console mode on RedHat. it
says "application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable". if I set a $DISPLAY variable; it then gives
'application initialization failed: can't connect to display ":0.0"'
        I can launch wish-based apps while in X (they launch a separate
window); but that sort of defeats the purpose (as I understand it) of wish,
which is to have a quasi-GUI system on the console, avoiding the complexity
of X.
        I've done 'make menuconfig' on a Debian box (which AFAIK uses wish);
so I know it can work. why is it b0rken on RH, tho?

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091