Re: [TCLUG:11404] Debian 2.2 (Potato)?

Thomas T. Veldhouse said:
> Does anybody know when Debian 2.2 will be released?

The current freeze date is January 15.  Potato is being held up by problems
with the install disks, but I'm not sure of their nature.  (I've heard that
the Potato install disks are functional, so I suspect they just want to add
more features to the installer.)

I don't know if you've used Debian before, but everything's generally pretty
solid before it even makes it into unstable.  I run three Potato systems and
have only gotten into trouble because of it once.  (There was a bad su which
would only let root use it - which I suppose some people would consider a
feature rather than a bug anyhow.  It was fixed the next day.)

Assuming you've got a good (read: fast) network connection (or a lot of
time), you can install a minimal Slink, edit /etc/apt/sources.list to
point at 'unstable' instead of 'stable', apt-get update, and then install
Potato packages to your heart's content.  (Running a mixed Slink/Potato
system isn't much of a problem either, except that they have (apparently)
incompatible versions of perl which could be a PITA to deal with.)

> Debian 2.1 is from last
> March and it is still on the 2.0.x kernel.

Actually, the Slink CD in the back of ORA's Debian book ('Learning Debian
GNU/Linux') includes kernel 2.2.12 packages, so I think that's been accepted
into stable.

> I can not install it because my
> system will not but the basic kernel because of one of the options they
> chose.

If you can't boot the default kernel, I don't see how a new version (which is
likely to have been compiled with the same options) will help.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+