Re: [TCLUG:11473] Open GL, nividia and linux 2.3?

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Has anybody experimented with the kernel support for the nvidia cards in kernel 2.3?  It is experimental still, but with XFree86 4.0 (early snapshots) - there is supposed to be some awesome gaming on the horizon.

I tried the driver with my tnt2, but it didn't work very well -- it booted
up at 8bpp 640x480 (I think).  It worked, but the text was so dim that I
had to crank up the brightness on my monitor all the way.  I converted an
XFree86 modeline for 1024x768 which stayed really dim at 8bpp, changed
white to green at 16bp, an finally looked OK at 32bpp (but scrolling text
at 1024x768 at 32bpp is an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy..)

Therefore, my conclusion is that the NVidia kernel driver is the very
definition of an 'experimental' driver.

Speaking of 2.3, I see that now that we've just learned how to use
ipchains, we have to learn a new thing - netfilter..  *sigh*

Mike Hicks
(lacking .sig because I'm away from home and my computer crashed while I
was away)