Re: [TCLUG:3983] LILO

I haven't seen a response on this, so I'll chip in.  I just hope this isn't
too basic for your situation...

Your problem most likely is not LILO.  On a couple occasions, I've had a
strange error about the IOS failing to load (from Windows boot up that is),
which is always after I use Linux and always fixed by powering down then
powering back up.  Other than that, no problems at all...

My suggestion is that you get a boot floppy so you can boot your PC into
Linux without LILO.  Once you have this (and are confident it will work), do
a fdisk /mbr from DOS on your C: drive.  This will knock out LILO.  Once
you've done this, reboot into Windows to see what the problem is.  I would
keep at this until you have Windows working again.  Using Safe Mode and the
boot logging option (use F8 at boot to see the menu for these options) will
be a significant help if you absolutely can't boot Windows normally (which
is always preferred).

Then, once Windows is working again (i.e. after you rebuild your Windows
partition ;), boot into Linux using your floppy, and re-rerun LILO to get
back your LILO MBR.

Of course, maybe you've tried this?  Did Windows work OK before you
installed LILO?  Hopefully, the above will help.

Let me know how it goes...