Re: [TCLUG:3985] static on sound card

> I have a k6-2. I have apm compiled into the kernel, but only with power
> off options, not the idle option. I started running rc5 recently (about
> the time I noticed the static).

If you stop RC5, does the static go away (or at least quiet down a
bit?)  I've noticed that memory transfers seem to affect the output on
my sound card..  I used to especially notice the problem when there were
large screen redraws.  You could probably try moving your sound card as
far away from the main memory and video card(s)..

Regardless, it's probably electrical noise of some kind.

You may also want to try shutting off the CD audio input, as the audio
cable from the drive often passes directly over all of the "noisiest"
parts of your computer before reaching the audio card.
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.1