Re: [TCLUG:4031] Samba/Linux stress load

I run a samba server at my school with around 23 or 24 users.. not quite
25, but here's the info anyways. Nothing impressive since everything we
use has to be donated, of course..

The server is a P90 with 64mb ram, a BusLogic Flashpoint Ultra-Wide SCSI
card and 2 Quantum 2gb Ultra-Wide SCSI drives mirrored via the software
mirroring in the kernel.

The clients are 486/33's with 32mb memory and 120mb hard drives running
Win95.

We run Office 97 Professional, Pagemaker, Photoshop, and a few other
fairly large applications off the shared drives on the server. User's
files are also stored on the server.

There is no noticable speed difference running applications locally or off
the server. This is probably because the clients are 486/33's, but still,
I think it's pretty impressive.

Oh, we also do have one P100, but it has all the software installed
locally.. just accesses the data off the network.. we mainly use it for
priting Pagemaker documents, and accessing the stuff on the server is
pretty quick; just slightly slower than loading something from the local
hard drive. (the 486/33's just take way too long to process printing the
images, and with 120mb drives that only have 30mb free, sometimes run out
of memory when attempting to print documents with 50mb of images linked
in..)

Oh, the server is still on Samba 1.9.x. I set up the server in August, and
haven't had time to get in there and upgrade it when nobody is on the
network.. and as the old saying goes, if it isn't broken (or slow), don't
fix it.

----
Nate Carlson
the infinite loop