Re: [TCLUG:4288] Not-So-Rosy Linux Article in the Star/Trib (is a good thing!)

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Hugh Johnson wrote:

> Speaking of partitioning, that's what I'm doing right now on my
> Pentium, and I've run into a snag. The Red Had manual clearly states
> that the nix kernel must be located within the first 1024 cylinders
> of the drive, but then it totally fails to explain what a cylinder
> is, how cylinders corespond to megabytes, etc, etc. Hey, I'm a
> software guy, not a hardware expert!

The easy way to see if your kernel is within the first 1024 cylinders is
to use Linux's fdisk to create your partitions.  It lets you partition the
drive in units of MB, KB, bytes, or cylinders.  For example, you can tell
it specifically that you want to create a partition that extends from
cylinder 800 to cylinder 810.

I don't think it's a problem for many people.  Most drives I've seen don't
have 1024 cylinders.

Chris