Installing new perl.

I've settled on MiniVend (minivend.com) as my shopping cart. MiniVend
appears to be a robust package that includes source code and it's free.
I don't know if anyone else from the list is using it but I'd love to
hear some comments.

Apparently MiniVend requires a version of perl which is different than
that which RedHat includes with their distribution. I had no idea RH
shipped something different than what is offered from the perl.com site.
I've found my error messages on the minivend mailing list and they
appear to confirm that I am having a typical non compatible Perl
problem.

What I am confused about is the proper way to install a new version of a
program, in this case Perl. Do I delete all references to the existing
Perl and then make and install the new version. I assume there's dozens
of links which will be broken after I do this.

How do I track down links and rebuild them?

Or should I track link before I remove and install a new version of a
program?

I'll be spending the day looking for reading material that explains this
process.