Re: [TCLUG:6913] new printer recommendation?

christian77@earthlink.net wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a new printer that will work under both NT and
> Linux.  I've been looking at the HP 712c and the Epson Stylus 900.
>  Both of these printers are new and I haven't been able to find any
> specific references to them as being supported under linux.  I know
> the Epson Stylus 800 is on the printer compatibility list from rh,
> and I've read that the HP 710 works (but no color).
>
> I've checked several places for lists of newer printers that run under
> linux (e.g., linuxhardware.net, redhat.com, linux.org, HP and
> Epson's site (yeah, right) etc) but I haven't had any luck.  Is there a
> comprehensive resource for printers for linux somewhere? (I found
> one for modems that was really helpful).
>
> Or can someone recommend a new printer that they've had
> success with?
>
> thanks
>
> Christian

Don't get the HP Deskjet 712c, it is a Windows only printer.  There is a
workaround using Ghostscript, but why introduce headaches if you don't have
to.  I have send a couple of email asking for Linux support from HP but all
I get is form-letter responses back.

--
Perry Hoekstra

---
"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit.
"No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I
began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."