Speaking of the GNOME Demo...

Hopefully it will be safe for me to post this...I haven't detected much of a
potential on this list for vitriolic responses so far. :)

I brought a friend (NT user) to the Radisson on Friday, and we were both hoping
to hear and see some cool stuff. The talk and demo were not really what I
expected, and I couldn't quite tell what audience they were aiming at. My
feeling at the time was that what they were doing with GNOME really undersold
the capabilities of Linux. My friend made a comment along the lines of: "Well,
I guess with Linux you can change your background and the color of windows,
huh?" A little flippant, perhaps, but understandable given what he saw.
Thankfully there were some things displayed that set GNOME apart from Micros~1
graphical features. Perhaps a more impressive display of Linux features would
have taken too long.

Maybe it was unreasonable to expect to learn anything new and cool there. The
talk was ok, a little heavy on rhetoric and perhaps old news to most people in
attendance. The question and answer session was the best part to me, because I
got to hear what kinds of issues other people are interested in.

In short: I think it's great that RedHat came to the Cities, and it certainly
didn't do any harm--publicizing Linux is a good thing. But I was a bit
underwhelmed and felt like I was hearing lots of stuff I already knew. On the
other hand, I got a free T-shirt. :)

Anyone have other ideas or comments?

Cheers,
Joel