Re: [TCLUG:7110] more routing weirdness

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Now, the problem seems to be that I can't ping the off-site nameserver. I
> can ping the gateway (10.22.2.250) just fine.

Try pinging a known IP address in your external network.  For example,
www.yahoo.com is 204.71.200.67.  If you can't ping this address
either, you more than likely have a problem at your gateway.  If it's
a linux box, make sure you have enabled forwarding...

I ran into this problem when I set up mgetty to service remote dialup.
I didn't have firewalling installed on the machine, which enables
ip_forward by default.  Took me a while to figure this one out. :)

If you can ping yahoo, see if you can ping another machine on the same
network as your external name server.  Get on a computer that works,
for example.  See if you can ping it there.  Just keep jumping from
computers that work to those that don't until you nail down which card
you're having problems with.

^chewie

http://nerp.net/~chewie  <<--- Check it out!  I'm selling my truck!