Re: [TCLUG:7220] Networked printers

Quoting David Christian (dchristian@macalester.edu):
> I've been working on adding a Linux internet station at my work; this will
> be one of three places where people can browse the web, etc...I'd like to
> let people print from there.  However, the printer that we have set up
> already is of course hooked up to a windows NT machine.  I figure this
> means I have to use smbprint, or something like that, but I'm worried
> about security.  How much of a risk is it to set up samba on computers
> that are open to the internet?  Am I right that this is the correct
> approach for being able to print from this computer?

You are correct, you will need to use smbprint. Check out this url and it will
walk you through how to share a windows printer with a linux machine.

http://heaven.hamline.edu/LDP/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-9.html

How much risk, that is always hard to judge. There is always a risk, but you
can use ipchains and limit the risks. For example, you could do a dual
Ethernet Linux box and use it as a firewall, blocking all(?) traffic coming
into the linux box, but allow all traffic going out; ala proxy server.

For more info you can look here:

http://heaven.hamline.edu/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700