Re: [TCLUG:7220] Networked printers

  Hi,

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, David Christian wrote:

> means I have to use smbprint, or something like that, but I'm worried
> about security.  How much of a risk is it to set up samba on computers
> that are open to the internet?  Am I right that this is the correct
> approach for being able to print from this computer?

That'll work, yeah. If you have a new enough Red Hat with samba installed,
Red Hat's printtool will let you painlessly setup printing to SMB
printers.

As for security... well, hopefully you've made sure the REST of the system
is secure, too. TCP_WRAPPERS and IPCHAINS are good places to start.

As for samba, you can always disable access from outside by modifying the
config file smb.conf (in either /etc or /usr/local/etc). Just edit the
"hosts allow" directive:

hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.1.

HTH,

-Yaron