Re: [TCLUG:7230] linux and win95 network

Joel Wyttenhove wrote:
> 1. I am trying to network win 95 notebook to linux server. (Suse 6.0)
> 2. I ping from notebook to server IP address and I get timed out message
> - which I think means that this PC is working okay.

Yeah, I think so -- the server just isn't able to respond (since the ethernet
card is incorrectly set up)

> 3. I ping from server to notebook and get "sendto: network is unreachable"
> message.
> 4. when I load linux I get error - failed message eth0: unknown interface

Looks like the driver for your card didn't load.

> 5. I have new 3com card on notebook, new netgear 4 port hub and UNKNOWN
> old NIC on linux server

If the server's NIC is PCI, just do 'cat /proc/pci' or '/sbin/lspci -v' to find
out what kind of a card it is.  Otherwise, you have to open up the case (unless
you have Windows installed -- just reboot to that and copy down the
configuration, etc, etc)

> I am guessing that my NIC on the linux server is either a) incompatible
> or b) not set up or configured properly.  when I originally installed
> linux it seemed to read the card okay and set up etc, but now I cannot
> figure out where to go check the set up, drivers, etc or do not know how
> to troubleshoot it, etc....... I have obtained new 3com ethernet card -
> should I just install it ?

That might be a good idea.  If your old card is a no-name one, I'd guess it's
probably an NE2000 clone -- you can try using that driver, if you want.  If you
still can't figure it out, I'd probably just break down and install it.

Since you already have a network configuration of sorts set up on the Linux box
(even though it isn't exactly working), I would just modify your
/etc/conf.modules file to reflect the new driver.  For instance, I have the
line:

alias eth0 3c59x

in my /etc/conf.modules file, which tells the system to use the 3c59x driver for
my 3c905 card.  You didn't tell us what card you had, so I don't know what
driver you would use....

A few card types and their associated modules:
  NE1000/2000 - ne
  NE2000 PCI  - ne2k-pci
  3c509       - 3c509
  3c59x/3c90x - 3c59x

Otherwise, just use linuxconf or whatever other configurator your system uses in
order to change the card type (Especially useful if the driver needs additional
info like IRQ, IO address, etc.)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   General Failure reading