q3test and ip masquerading

hi,
    I'm having trouble playing q3test on any remote servers.  Everytime I
play, it starts to lag every 5 seconds or so and it locks up and makes it
unplayable.  I'm not sure the reason for this, but I know it is not the client
machine.  I suspect that it may be because I am using a linux router w/ ip
masquerading to dial out but am unsure.  Has anyone else had any problems with
this?  I am also using the U as my isp so that may be the other cause but am
unsure.  I have tried over 20 different servers and used both maps and get the
same result on each.  I also have no problems in terms of bandwidth with ftp
and http, however I suspect that this is a latency problem.

serge