RE: [TCLUG:6265] memory leakage with Apache, Perl CGI, and Samba

I'm not sure of your experience with linux, so I will start at the basics

It is normal for Linux to have no memory free.  Linux has an automatic disk
swap system.  it uses un-used memory for disk swap.

Mem:  63216K av, 61692K used,  1524K free, 18212K shrd, 29148K buff
Swap: 72256K av,  2888K used, 69368K free               10680K cached

this is a system that has been up for 323 days (output from top)  notice that
it uses almost 30MB for buffers.. this is all disk information cached in RAM.

Mem:  127976K av, 124764K used,   3212K free,  36496K shrd,  25572K buff
Swap: 128484K av,   6156K used, 122328K free                 47708K cached

this is my system.. up for only one day (damn ICMP bug)  I run gnome, netscape,
gimp, xemacs, but I still am using 25MB of ram for disk buffer.

there is no memory leak, it's just wasting ram not doing anything with it.