RE: [TCLUG:6392] setting IP addresses

> How do I change the IP settings on a RH5.1 box?

Many ways:

- Use netcfg (if you have X)
or - Edit /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/[your
interface]-up. (if you don't have X)
or - Use ifconfig to modify the interface on the fly.

- Edit /etc/resolv.conf if you have to change your DNS server entries.

>Does it matter
> that it was
> behind an IP masqueraded gateway but is not anymore?

Yes, you need to remove the gateway from your IP config.  Otherwise if
you're sending packets anywhere other than your local subnet, it'll try to
sent them through the gateway and you'll get a "no response" - type error.

Would this be done
> through linuxconf?

Beats me, I haven't had time to learn linuxconf.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator