Re: [TCLUG:6489] Qwest bids for USWest Really RE: DSL

> [....] It's still $40 (line) +$20 (ISP) for 256k
> service from USWest, right?

Actually, USWest is the middle of a promotion now, through the first
week of July. Their 256K service is just barely cheaper than what Onvoy
offers -- right around $50/month -- but does not include a static IP
address.

(I signed up with USWest the day before MRNet became Onvoy and made
their service available, so I have a hybrid -- MRNet as my ISP and
USWest as the carrier. The total cost is $53/month or so, with the
static IP address.)

> BTW, USWest's DSL routers AND installation are free? I remember a promo
> where they had free routers, but the install wasn't free...

You're almost correct. USWest has a $245 REBATE on their router, etc.
But the EXTERNAL router (which I got) costs $295. (The internal card /
router costs $245, so that's essentially free.)

The installation is not free or discounted. And, if I understand the
directions correctly, they don't actually do anything but walk into your
house (or apartment) and make a mess of your floor. They don't actually
perform an installation on your machine or anything useful. Of course,
that would be academic: Linux is not a supported platform.

--

Nothing convinces me that computing is an art so much as a bad install.

David Guy Brizan          brizan@freenet.msp.mn.us          612-814-8223