Re: [TCLUG:6543] onvoy.net

<$0.02>
All deference to the folks who are employed by / are supporters of US
West, but US West really has a deservedly awful reputation. Without
going into the specifics too much:

Yesterday afternoon, I went home to get MRNet (Onvoy) and my router
talking. The technician asked what OS I was running, and I decided to be
honest. "Linux," I said. Without missing a beat, he went through his
setup script, saying things like, "So, go into minicom...."

US West was impressed that I was using Linux. To them, it meant that I
am a technical person, but little more.

But forget about that; let's talk basics of customer service: Onvoy told
me that they would be ready to set up my service in three business days.
They called me when they promised. When a problem arose with my phone
line, US West said that they'd dispatch a repair crew in four hours.
Eighteen hours later, they have not, and have not acknowledged that they
have not.

Anyway, the point is this: I understand that this better service is a
direct result of having a smaller, more focused company, but.... MRNet /
Onvoy was prepared and professional. Their technicians and their sales
and service folks could explain fairly technical things with some
competence. When things didn't work, they explained why and suggested an
alternate course of action. In other words, they are the precise
opposite of US West which seems to be making promises which the company
can't keep, which always seems to be scrambling to make things work,
which can't explain its own technology.

If I had to do this all over again, I think I'd select the (more
expensive) DSL service from MRNet / Onvoy just to know that it would
work as promised and when promised.
</$0.02>

--

Nothing convinces me that computing is an art so much as a bad install.

David Guy Brizan          brizan@freenet.msp.mn.us          612-814-8223