Re: [TCLUG:6525] redhat vs mandrake

> > the past month I've installed RH 6.0, Mandrake 6.0, Caldera 2.2, and SuSE
> > 6.1.
> >
> What did you think of SuSE 6.1 and Caldera 2.2?

I have installed each of those this past month also except for the
Mandrake distribution. I had been using RedHat 5.1 previous to trying
these other three. The CD's I installed from were from the Linux
SixPack from Linuxmall. I acutally downloaded the entire RH6
distribution and burned my own CD before I got the SixPack.

The Caldera had a spiffy graphical install but I had great difficulty
getting the system to boot at all when it was done. In fact I
completely reformatted the sytem and installed it three times. I
finally got it to come up and run ok, but my ethernet card does not
work - DOH!  I am not sure why yet - it is an HP Lan adapter plus or
something. It never had a problem with various versions of RedHat.

On a different machine I set up Suse 6.1 because of the difficulties
I had with the Caldera system. The installation screens seemed to be
more confusing and more work to go through, but everything worked
right from the start. The problem I had with this is I could not get
the IPX protocol running. I need that to access Netware servers when
at the office and one I have at home for testing. I got into a bunch
of trouble fiddling with that and when half of the errors started
coming up in German I dumped it too. I later heard that the kernel
needed to be recompiled to get the IPX going. I am not sure. There
were IPX modules compiled that I loaded but it didn't go anyhow.

I have also installed RedHat 6.0 on four or five machines now and
that has worked well every time. I liked its installation program the
best I think too. Plus with the RedHat, it is easy to set up and
switch between GNOME and KDE if you wish. The other two only come
with KDE.

I know most people will not need Netware connectivity but that is one
of the reasons I wanted to try Caldera. I don't know if it works well
or not since I havne't got the nic running yet. I have been using the
ncpfs-2.2.0 to mount my netware servers and that works ok for logging
into root, but it doesn't fully support NDS like Calderas Netware for
linux is supposed to. I will have to monkey around with it some more.