Re: [TCLUG:4383] Sparc and Linux

I just adapted my reinstaller to cover sparc and alpha linux as well as
the existing x86 linux.  Getting sparcs to be compatable with the
reinstaller was a little tough since there are so many potential
differences (proms, sbus, pci, etc...)  The ipc and elc's run sparc linux
pretty well and the 4's and 5's look really nice.  X configuration is a
no-brainer since there's no need for a config file.  It's pretty stable,
but the lack of application support isn't too hot (there's at least a
glibc-based netscape). The sun boot loader, SILO is a little unforgiving,
especially to those who are already uncomforatble with LILO.  At least the
newer proms are smart enough to recognize ext2 filesystems.

Peter Lukas