Re: [TCLUG:4379] Linux threat to Microsoft grows - Mar. 1, 1999

Hector,

I've seen the "Warning: partition X overlaps partition Y." message, too.  In
can only conclude that the "verify" subcommand of fdisk is broken... 'Cause
my layout works even if the verify subcommand does complain.

You need to verify _by_ _hand_ that you do or do not have parititions
overlapping.  Suppose for example you've got a partition table that looks
like:
	> Command (m for help): p
	>
	> Disk /dev/hdb: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 7752 cylinders
	> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes
	>
	>    Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
	> /dev/hdb1             1     1023   515560+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
	> /dev/hdb2          1024     3023  1008000   83  Linux native
	> /dev/hdb3          3024     5023  1008000   83  Linux native
	> /dev/hdb4          5024     7752  1375416   82  Linux swap

For each partition on the drive, make sure that there's no overlap with
any other partition both at the beginning of the paritition and at the
end... i.e.: the set of integers formed by the "Start"/"End" pair should
be disjoint for all usable partitions.  The easiest way to lay a disk out
this way is to remove all partitions, then allocate them in serial order,
starting the 2'nd through n'th partitions at the NEXT block after the end
of the previous partition.

Hope this help'idly,

-S

Hector Meneses - PRA wrote:

> Hi Wade,
>
> I'm wondering if you might help me with this:
>
> - I have a 10,800 MB hard disk which I'd like to put Windows and Linux. I
> utilized fdisk to partition the disk but fdisk just see 8GB out of the 10GB. I
> decided to change the number of heads, cylinders and sectors (the disk geometry)
> to fill the 10800MB. The disk geometry is this:
>
> heads  128,  sectors   63,  cylinders   2651.
>
> With that geometry fdisk can see almost the whole disk. After that I created 4
> partitions :
>
> 1 120MB   linux boot
> 2 3.5GB   Windows
> 3 128MB   linux swap
> [4 The rest of the disk  extended.]
> 5 1GB     /usr
>
> The problem arose when I tried to add another partition
> 6 1GB     /home
>
> When I utilized the command "v" (verify) fdisk said that partitions 5 and 6 were
> overlaped. Something that I have noticed is that this problem arises only when
> the two partitions are above cylinder 1024. In my case partition 5 is starting
> under cylinder 1024 (979), but partition 6 is way over cylinder 1024.
>
> I have found some documents where it's said that for IDE hd's there's a 8GB
> limit but those documents are very very old and the linux community is
> continously improving the software, so I'm sure there's a workaround somewhere.
>

> Thanks...
>
> Hector.
<SNIP>