Re: [TCLUG:4436] nftp replacement

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Jelly Donut wrote:

> .. As an aside, what makes ncftp so popular ? I notice that a whole lot of
> people use it .. granted, I've only used version 1.8.3 (1994, heh) but I
> don't really have a reason to stop using normal ftp, so I haven't bothered
> installing a newer version. ncftp 1.8.3 is, for all intents and purposes,
> normal /bin/ftp. Well, as far as I can see. The one reason I could see for
> using it would be because you can specify the filename on the command
> line, but I've got a little program that does that anyway.

I like ncftp a lot.  It supports recursive get and reget.  If I want
/pub/contrib/, and all subdirectories under /pub/contrib/ , I'd go

get -R /pub/contrib

If I tried to download 50MB-file , and only half of it arrived before my
modem disconnected, I'd dial up again, and go

get -C 50MB-file

and it would continue the download where it left off.  So, I don't have to
re-download the first half.

It's Good Stuff.