Re: [TCLUG:4495] Cisco 675 Router

Allie & others,

I'm using Visi.net as my ISP with a static IP address.  They are
really nice to work with, and the price is right.

You could plug the Cisco 675 right into a hub, but I would not
recommend it.  Wouldn't you then need an IP address for each machine
on the hub?  (not sure about that...)

Not to mention the security risks of having your entire network open
to the internet through your hub....

I have one machine with 2 NIC's.  One connected to the DSL router
(with the IP assigned from Visi), and one connected to my hub (with a
generic 192.168.x.x IP address).  I then have my two other machines
plugged into the hub, using the machine connected to the router as a
gateway. Each of them have a 192.168.x.x address assigned to them.

I still have a lot of work to do, security wise.  But, it is a nice
setup.

Just be careful, as leaving the DSL machine up will open the door to
that machine.

I'd be happy to share if you have specific questions.

Thanks!

Scott K. Johnson
skj@visi.com