Re: [TCLUG:4711] Rumors of MS Office port to linux (why kid around???)

OK, here's my REAL take on this possibility:

    M$ seems to be known for shoddy code writing; the new office would
undoubtedly be buggy and unstable (most likely released before it's really
finished), thus turning ppl away from Linux thinking that it's Linux's fault
that their favorite office suite sucks. That would be a no-win situation for
Linux, and might be another element of ms's FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt)
campaign against it.
   IF (IF IF IF) MS released their source code for it (not gonna happen),
office would take on a new dimension of speed, reliability, and functionality
that would kill any hopes MS had of sustaining the windows platform, thus, MS
porting office may be an attempt to kill linux from anything other than the
server market (and us, of course, meaning the open-source community) for good,
i.e. companies who gamble on trying it could be forever turned away.
   Me (and many other linux users who have heard this) may not be sure they
want MS on their machines ...ever.
   Hell, the article may have been planted by M$. But then, they may be
covering their bases by making sure they have a well-known product on the new
platform  so that they will still have a positive cash flow when it comes down
to "us or them".

 So if it happens, I will be one of a few out there with crossed fingers...
LOL

    Lemme know if anybody's got a different point of view... I'm usually
wrong... :)

   Glen