Re: [TCLUG:4711] Rumors of MS Office port to linux (why kid around???)

Gurensan@aol.com wrote:

> OK, here's my REAL take on this possibility:
>
>     M$ seems to be known for shoddy code writing; the new office would
> undoubtedly be buggy and unstable (most likely released before it's really
> finished), thus turning ppl away from Linux thinking that it's Linux's fault
> that their favorite office suite sucks. That would be a no-win situation for
> Linux, and might be another element of ms's FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt)
> campaign against it.

I think that if MS really does port anything to Linux, this will
be their ulterior motive.  They'll pull a "see, we tried <shrug>,
but Linux just doesn't work well with Windows".  This could be a
very effective FUD tactic, especially among trusting middle
management types.  I sincerely hope that this is just a rumor.

On the other hand, I honestly don't think they (MS) would
bother.  Office relies so heavily on the hoary underbelly of
OLE/COM that MS would have to port half the OS before Office
would run.  As I understand it, anyway.  Correct me if I'm
wrong.  (c:

Anyway, seems like an awful lot of work, just to push some FUD
around.  I don't think MS is psychologically capable of porting
their stuff to Unix, especially Linux.  It's too much of an
admission that Windows isn't good enough to cover the entire
market.  Microsoft will never admit that some other OS has a
better market for MS software than Windows does.  Never happen.

John