RE: Books on Using Linux [TCLUG:4742]

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:18:08 -0600, Kevin wrote...
>Has anyone read both of the following books on Linux?
>Running Linux by Welsch and Kaufman
>Using Linux by Jack Tacket, Jr & Steve Burnett
>
>Is one better than the other?

I have both, and I find them both useful.  Using Linux seems to have more
info on commands and how to make stuff work.  Running Linux is really good
on helping you learn how and why that stuff works.  Using comes with Redhat
(the version I have has 5.1), which can be useful, since you then have a
reference that you know works for your distribution.
I read the chapters on installing Linux in each book, and found that
between the two, I got a good understanding of what was happening and what
I needed to do.  But I would have to say that if you rally don't have any
idea what you're doing, and you have the patience, the Tacket/Burnett book
gives more detail.  (but it's longer to read)  If you only want one book,
and you're willing to figure some stuff out yourself, I think Running will
probably give you a better idea of *what* is going on instead of just how.
Personally, I like having both!

Hope this helps.  If I can remember, I'll bring them with me to the next
meeting, so you can look at them if you want.  Maybe everyone could bring
their books of choice.  It would be interesting to see what everyone else
is using.  I'm always in the market to expand my "impressive collection of
assorted geek literature", as my girlfriend calls it.... What do you think?

I've also had recommended to me "Linux in a Nutshell" by Jessica Perry
Hekman, but I have not yet had opportuniy to check it out.  Anyone else
tried it?  Any comments?

As always, these are my opinions, treat them as such.
    Linux.  It's a beautiful thing.
        -Larry

----L. Crisp-----------------cris0027@tc.umn.edu---
       May The Dark Side Be With You, Always