Gnome questions -- no sound, missing library.

	I've just about finished installing Gnome 1.0.2 on my home RedHat 5.2
workstation.  It seems pretty stable (no crashes yet), and with a little
effort I got it to play nice with WindowMaker (including ditching the
WindowMaker dock in favor of the Gnome panel).  However, there are a couple
things I've dead-ended on:

	- Sound doesn't work properly.  I can go into the sound configuration
applet in Gnome and set sounds, test them and they're clear as a bell.
Outside of that applet, no Gnome apps use sound at all -- there's no login
sound, "Gnibbles" makes nary a peep, etc.  At this point, I'm not even sure
where to look.  My sound card's a SoundBlaster AWE64, ISA, and works more or
less flawlessly in non-X apps and under Enlightenment.

	- Can't compile "asclock-gtk" as a Gnome applet -- it complains that
applet-lib.h is missing.  As near as I can figure out, this lib used to be a
part of gnome-core-devel.rpm (back around Gnome 0.3 or thereabouts), but now
I don't know what package owns it, or if it still exists.  Also, Gnome panel
applets don't seem to work -- instead of adding a new icon to the panel, a
single grey pixel will appear -- I'm guessing these two are related somehow.
Anybody have any idea what I might be missing here?

	One detail that might be important -- I've seen conflicting instructions on
installing Gnome + a window manager.  Some places say to start both the wm
and Gnome in .Xclients, wm first.  Others do what I do -- start
gnome-session in .Xclients and have it start WindowMaker.  Any thoughts on
the wisdom of either course would be appreciated.

---
Eric Hillman
CCCU -- UNIX Sysadmin
ehillman@cccu.com
The opinions expressed in this message are mine.  You can't have them.