Re: [TCLUG:4790] Gnome questions -- no sound, missing library.

>         - Sound doesn't work properly.  I can go into the sound configuration
> applet in Gnome and set sounds, test them and they're clear as a bell.
> Outside of that applet, no Gnome apps use sound at all -- there's no login
> sound, "Gnibbles" makes nary a peep, etc.

Try running 'esd &' at some point _before_ you start up gnome-session..
It's possible that the sound daemon just isn't loading quite right..

>         - Can't compile "asclock-gtk" as a Gnome applet -- it complains that
> applet-lib.h is missing.

I would try commenting that line out of whatever source file you're
having trouble compiling (unless configure is barfing..).  Then, the
compiler should tell you what functions it couldn't find definitions
of..  Run 'grep' on your /usr/include directory tree, and see if you can
find where those functions actually get defined (if they get defined at
all any more..)

>         One detail that might be important -- I've seen conflicting instructions on
> installing Gnome + a window manager.  Some places say to start both the wm
> and Gnome in .Xclients, wm first.  Others do what I do -- start
> gnome-session in .Xclients and have it start WindowMaker.  Any thoughts on
> the wisdom of either course would be appreciated.

If you have the WM start gnome-session, it will prevent gnome-session
from taking down your whole X environment.  However, you probably won't
be able to log out of your X session by going to the panel's Log Out
option.  I had to log out of Gnome, then log out of WindowMaker (which I
didn't really like..), so now I run gnome-session from my .xsession
file, and have it start up Enlightenment..

It's just one of those personal preferences..
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.1