Video for Linux

Anyone tried it?

I have an a MiroVideo DC-30+, and just for good measure; an ATI
All-In-Wonder.  I was wondering if anyone had used video for linux
successfully for frame and/or video capture.  S-VHS quality video capture
would be real neat and I bet Linux could do it way better than '98 could;
but what I am really looking for is sequential frame capture for stop-motion
animation.  My quest-- on any platform-- is to find software that will let
me do onion-skinning [comparison between current and prior frames so ya get
the motion right]. It is a ridiculously simple request but I get blank
stares from Adobe and others when I make it.

So my question here is two-part:  Does anyone have experience setting
up/using frame/video capture hardware?  And is anyone familiar with such
software?  I've been holding back on installing a dual boot on this system
for the disk space, but if i thought linux could do as much/more in terms of
capturing and editing then i'd find a way...

Thank Ya,
Allie Micka