Re: [TCLUG:4941] Scanner for Linux

  Hi,

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Scot Jenkins wrote:

> Wondering if anyone has a color flatbed scanner working with Linux.
> Interested in the hookup (scsi, parallel, whatever) and what software
> you're using.  I'm seeing mostly scsi and s/w called SANE on
> www.linuxhardware.net.  How easy/difficult are these things to get going
> under Linux?

When I was shopping for a scanner a couple of months ago, I don't think
SANE supported paralel scanners. I went with a UMAX Astra 610S, which has
a SCSI interface, but is still fairly cheap (around $100). Of course, I
had to go get a Adaptec 2490 for it which cost more than the scanner, and
go find a weirdo cable which Umax Support said every computer store should
have, but which CompUSA, General Nanosystems, Computer Renaissance and
pretty much every other local store I asked have never heard of (people at
CompUSA asked me what scuzi is).

Still, once the hardware's plugged in, compiling Sane and interfacing it
with gimp is really a piece of cake - the Doze setup was more complicated.

-Yaron