Re: [TCLUG:5007] more naive questions

/usr/local is allways the place for you to put new applications that you
build yourself.  I normaly don't keep sources around after i have tested
an application.. only for things that require re-builds and updates, and
stuff that i'm developing do i keep the sources around.

unix filesharing is done through NFS.

shares are controled by /etc/exports and "man exports" should bring up all
the docs you need.. just remeber to restart the daemon to update changes..
/etc/init.d/nfs-server restart (for debian)
/etc/rc.d/init.d/(something) (for redhat)
killall -HUP rpc.nfsd
killall -HUP rpc.mountd (for slackware, or anything else)

then on the client machine:
mount -t nfs servername:/file/share/dir /mount/point

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)