Re: [TCLUG:5007] more naive questions

  Hi,

.
> Second, after I have compiled the program and moved the executable, is
> there any good reason to keep the installation files?  (the Makefile, *.h,

These are probably both the same question.

If you're compiling a program you downloaded from source using 'make',
running 'make install' should install the programs in the appropriate
place for you. It will also install libraries and/or include files (*.h)
if they are needed. After doing that, you can safely delete the source.
Most things you DL nowadays have an 'INSTALL' file with more detailed
instructions.

As a side note, /usr/bin is usually where the operating system puts it's
executables. /bin is either the same as /usr/bin or /sbin usually. It's
customary to put your own, non-OS files in /usr/local, so executables
would go in /usr/local/bin (unless you use some true SysV thing which'll
put them in /opt).

> Lastly, can anyone help me figure out how to map-to/mount a drive on a
> different computer on the same local network?

If the other machines are using nfs, you can just use mount, as in:

mount -t nfs other_machine:/usr/export/directory /local_directory

If the other machines are Windoze machines using SMB, you need the
smbmount program. You need to have smb/nfs compiled into your kernel to
mount those filesystem types.

-Yaron