more naive questions

I have three fairly simple questions I hope someone can answer for me:

First, is there anyplace in particular I should put new, compiled programs?
 I know it needs to be in the path, and typically in a "bin" directory, but
there are several bin directorys.  Is there one that's better for user
added programs?

Second, after I have compiled the program and moved the executable, is
there any good reason to keep the installation files?  (the Makefile, *.h,
*.c, etc)  I'd like to keep my disk space organized, and it fills up quick
if I keep them.  Is there any reason I can't just back up the .tar.gz files
and delete the rest?

Lastly, can anyone help me figure out how to map-to/mount a drive on a
different computer on the same local network?

Thanks,
  --Larry

----L. Crisp-----------------cris0027@tc.umn.edu---
       May The Dark Side Be With You, Always