Re: [TCLUG:5007] more naive questions

> Lastly, can anyone help me figure out how to map-to/mount a drive on a
> different computer on the same local network?

I'm not sure if there's a good syntax for /etc/fstab and SMB shares, but
to mount one, the command should be fairly simple.

smbmount //SERVER/SHARE_NAME /mnt/mount-point

/mnt/mount-point can be replaced with any empty directory on your hard
disk.  Also, if the share needs a password, I think you'd be prompted
(there's probably also an option to put a password on the command
line..)

If you want to get the list of shares on a particular server, use the
smbclient command:

smbclient -L SERVER

If you need to add in the IP address, just add on '-I aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd'
with the correct IP..

HTH
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.1