Modem permissions

Hi,

I setup a box for a friend to read e-mail and run an office suite.  So, I
installed Linux setup Netscape and Staroffice.

The only thing I couldn't get working involved the modem.

Only root has permissions to use the modem.

The permissions on the modem (/dev/cua1/) is crw-rw-rw  there is a symlink
to /dev/modem

I setup the PPP/SLIP/PLIP connection with PPP and checked the box that
allows users to (de)activate the connection.

I tried using ezppp as a user, and it says "cannot access modem"

Is there something I am missing?

TIA

Mark