Re: [TCLUG:5689] GUI email apps

"Mark A. Bentley" wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 1999, John R Sheets wrote:
> > Ahh, okay, so when you add that to .forward, you circumvent the
> > mail spool entirely?  So if I create my .procmailrc and set up
> > .forward, procmail will get triggered automatically each time I
> > run fetchmail (is it sendmail that deals with .forward?)?
>
> Well, no, sendmail will call procmail to process EVERY incoming e-mail.
> procmail won't get called when you use fetchmail...fetchmail is just a
> POP/IMAP client, right?

As I understand it, fetchmail grabs mail from a POP/IMAP server,
and sends it via SMTP to the local port 25 (or whichever port it
is).  Sendmail then processes it and places it in the spool,
right?  But apparently, if you set up procmail, you can side-step
the spool and get direct door-to-door delivery.  (c:

John