Re: [TCLUG:5689] GUI email apps

Ben Luey wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that fetchmail gets your mail from
> imap or pop -- sendmail treats it as if it had been sent straight to it
> via SMTP (25).

Yup.  That's what the man page seemed to suggest.

> Usually sendmail is then setup to run the mail through procmail with the
> .procmailrc file. If this is setup you can just write a .procmailrc for
> filter stuff. If sendmail isn't setup for this (compile option) you can do
> that neat trick with having .forward run procmail.

Is that really a compile option?  The procmail man page had an
example of a rule for sendmail.cf file that you could add.
Restart sendmail, and voila!  Or does sendmail _also_ require
compile-time support?

> I think the default sendmail has procmail all setup, so just write the
> .procmailrc file.

Hmmm, ya know, I didn't even think to check sendmail.cf, to see
if a procmail entry was already there.  I assumed that it
wouldn't be.  I'll check tonight.

John