secure http apache and certificates

Hi, Is there a good howto which deals with how to setup a web site
with https and "configure certificates".

I would like to know how to setup a web site that can accept information
like credit cards and other private information.  I come across a lot
of sites that have the https and the little lock showing up in netscape
but when I look at the "Page Info" the
"Security" field still says "Status unknown".

But then on some sites the Security Field contains a lot of information
that kind of makes me feel safe ;-).

So how do I go about doing the latter ?

Thanks,
sandipan