Re: [TCLUG:5899] Replacing apache...rpm with apache source build.

The apache_1.3.6 source that you have I think is configured to install
everything under /usr/local/apache/. It does not touch any file anywhere
else. The config files are available under /usr/local/apache/conf,
the binaries under /usr/local/apache/bin and the default cgi and
html is also under /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin, /usr/local/apache/html
and logs under /usr/local/apache/logs.

The rpm install that comes with RedHat, which I am assuming you have
on your system does not use this directory at all. It uses
/etc/httpd/conf
for the config files, and /var/log for the logs and the binaries
are in /usr/sbin.

So my guess is that you should be fine !

Enjoy !
sandipan