RE: [TCLUG:5944] Unix & Linux

I'm going to give my standard response, which you've all heard before, and
suggest that you consider loading the freeware tool Big Brother on the IBM
AIX box, and use it to monitor server A and B.  By default it can give you
acknowledgments via e-mail, pager, and color changes on a web page.  Since
it's written entirely in sh with a little bit in C, it is flexible enough
that you can modify it to produce audio output.  Maybe you could make the
web page whoop when a server goes down, though that would be awfully
annoying after a while.

BB is available at http://maclawran.ca/bb-dnld/ .  As long as you have a C
compiler on your AIX box, you're set to go.

Much easier than writing your own tool for this simple task.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator