dhcpd.leases

I'm trying to set up and configure a dhcp server and when I try to start it
is says:

Can't open lease database /var/state/dhcp/dhcpd.leases: No such file or
directory -- check for failed database rewrite attempt.
Please read the dhcpd.leases manual page if you don't know what to do about
this.

I can't find a dhcpd.leases manual page.  Does anyone know where I can find
some documentation on this, or can anyone tell me what I might try from
here.  the directory does exist, but the file doesn't.  I'm lost here.

nate strand