Linuxconf and RE: [TCLUG:9741] PPP redial problem

I didn't include the last post from Jennifer because I want to reply
to it in a general manner.  Frankly, I don't know where to find stuff
on a RedHat system that uses Linuxconf to run everything.  The file
organization of RedHat systems seems convoluted to me, a bit too
complicated for what it accomplishes.

I appreciate Debian's approach, which is very basic in nature.
Setting up network cards and ppp dialups should be a straightforward
endeavor, not one driven by front-end or ncurses config tools that use
their own special setup files.  Therein lies the problem.  When a tool
makes a program more difficult to set up manually, then it's not a
very good tool.  That is how I feel about linuxconf and RedHat's
seemingly absolute dependance upon it.

Jennifer, if you still have problems, abandon the Linuxconf/RedHat
approach.  Browse your files and learn by context what happens when
you execute your pppd initiation scripts.  Read the actual scripts to
see where each grabs information.  Until then, you'll be working off
the mercy of your front-end tools, whether they work or not.  Believe
you me, the time you invest in mapping the flow of your programs and
scripts will benefit you 10-fold.

And yes, Jennifer, I am in the SCA. :)  My SKA is Gunnarr Thorson.
Pleased to meet you. :)

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html